If this is your first time to come across osteopathic manipulative treatment (OMT) or osteopathic medicine (DO), perhaps you are already curious about what it is, how it works, and how it feels.
Osteopathic manipulative treatment involves a set of hands-on techniques used for the diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of illnesses and injuries.
At Omega Physical Therapy, we have found this treatment effective in helping patients find relief from muscle pain, carpal tunnel, migraines, among other issues.
Our osteopathic physician (DO), Dr. Dmitry Shestakovsky, has specialized training and experience on the intricate system of muscles in the human body. He has a thorough understanding of the interconnection of the body’s system. He will also examine various aspects of your lifestyle, such as your sleeping and eating habits, to determine how they may be affecting your body.
As such, osteopathic manipulative treatment can complement and sometimes replace drugs and surgery.
What to expect in a DO’s office
When you visit our clinic, you will receive a complete physical examination regardless of where you are hurting. You will also be required to answer some questions about your lifestyle as well as any stresses you’re currently experiencing that may be contributing to your concerns. Your answers will help the doctor uncover the cause of your symptoms hence assist in addressing the cause rather than just the symptoms.
Techniques used in osteopathic treatment
During your OMT session, Dr.Dmitry Shestakovsky will use his hands to manually apply a certain amount of pressure around your joints, muscles, and different parts of the body.
Osteopathic manipulation involves 40 different techniques including:
- Soft tissue manipulation: You will feel pressure and a bit of stretching on your muscles.
- Osteopathic cranial manipulative medicine: The DO stimulates healing by applying mild pressure to your skull.
- Myofascial release: The DO applies gentle pressure on your fascia to release tension.
- Muscle energy: These techniques involve moving your muscles in a specific direction while the doctor uses his hands to counter that movement.
OMT improves circulation, therefore, triggering the body’s self-healing power. In most cases, the doctor’s touch makes you feel better almost immediately.
OMT can treat a vast array of medical issues.
OMT is not only effective for treating muscle pain, but also many other medical problems. Some of these conditions include:
- Neck pain
- Lower back pain
- Issues with the pelvis hips and legs
- Menstrual pain
- Sports injuries
- Posture problems caused by pregnancy work or driving
- Colic (excessive crying in babies)
- Some headaches such as migraines
- Sinus problems
The techniques used in OMT can also help:
- Promote blood circulation
- Treat structural and tissue abnormalities
- Restore muscle and tissue balance
Since the treatment involves moving and stretching of a restricted joint, you might feel a bit of soreness for roughly a day after the treatment.
OMT as part of a treatment plan
Sometimes our physician may prescribe a combination of OMT and other treatment methods. For instance, Dr. Dmitry Shestakovsky might recommend several lifestyle changes such as a healthier diet, stress relief, more exercise, and better sleeping habits.
He may also suggest some of the following treatments, depending on the cause of your pain:
- Procedures such as nerve blocks and other injections
- Physical therapy
- Behavioral therapy or counseling
Are you a good candidate for osteopathic treatment?
Patients with an increased risk of damage to the spine, bones, joints, nerves, and ligaments are not good candidates for OMT. If you have one or several of the following conditions, OMT might not be a good option for you:
- Blood clotting disorders
- Acute inflammatory conditions
- Osteopathic manipulation is also not suitable for those taking blood thinning medication.
To learn more about osteopathic treatment, feel free to visit our offices, or call 347-754-6531 today. Dr. Dmitry Shestakovsky will work with you to determine how OMT can be of benefit to you.